Friday, June 20, 2008

Update

Hi everyone! I am hoping to give you all as much information as I can with the least amount of typing since my arm usage seems to be limited right now!!
As most, if not all of you, know by now, I went in for a 32 week checkup appt yesterday (Thursday) to my OBGYN. I was scheduled to have my first vaginal exam since I am 32 (almost 33 now) weeks along and they just wanted to check my cervix and make sure nothing was going on. In Kincaid fashion, things just cant seem to go normally for us, hah, and MUCH to my and my doctor's and everyone else's surprise she told me I was already 2.5-3cm dilated and would be admitted to the hospital right away!! I was able to get ahold of Mike who made it to the hospital in record time to calm my fears (its amazing how much I instantly calmed down once he was at my side!)
You'll have to excuse if any of this is worded awkwardly or confusing but I think the medicaion is kind of making me loopy, haha.
Long story short, I was admitted, and we were told that I will be here at least a week. Apparently I have been having contractions for at least a little while now since I was 2.5-3cm dilated and they are keeping me in the hospital for a couple reasons, one being to stop the contractions which they are giving me magnesium sulfate through an IV for. The other things are, they are trying to encourage Brayden to move back on up since I am 80% effaced right now and Brayden's head is at -2. (he's really far down there!). Also, I have been given two shots of a type of steroid, whose name I cant think of at the moment, that is going to develop the alveoli in Brayden's lungs in case he does decide he just cant wait any longer and has to come. Thankfully both of those shots have been given and in another 24 hours should have had their full effect.
Right now I am just hooked up to various monitors and machines to keep track of me, Brayden, Brayden's heartbeat, mine, my contractions, and of course the IV fluids. We're hanging tough and Mike is of course taking the utmost amazing care of us! Thankfully here at St. John's in Oxnard he is able to room in with me in our private room and we are so thankful and blessed for that!
Best case scenario, the medication will completely stop my contractions, we will get sent home with me on complete bedrest and on pill form of the meds to keep me from contracting, and Brayden will hold on at least another 4 weeks. That's what we're hoping for, aiming for, and praying for! The doctors have informed us that we have a very minimal chance of actually going full 40 weeks, but our goal is to hold off as much as we can!
Thank you for all the prayers, texts, phone calls, emails, cards, flowers, etc etc! Mike, Brayden and I so greatly appreciate it all and are so blessed by it!
We will update when we can and when we have more news! Please continue to keep us in your prayers!
Love,
Mike, Laura, and our very eager little Brayden

3 comments:

Mommy of KraftyGang kids said...

Thanks for the updates!!! We'll have to plan to come by for a visit!!!! We are praying. It does Sound like Brayden is ready to come though! :)

Oregon Grandma said...

We love you Brayden, but STAY PUT!

Anonymous said...

We love you guys and are definitely praying for you! Thank you for updating us!

Lots of love,
Sarah and Brian