Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thanksgiving on Independence Day

I was thinking about it earlier and I really think that 4th of July is another "Thanksgiving Day" but one that is focused on this great nation that we live in and the things that make it great. As a friend of mine pointed out, there is a lot to be concerned about with our country's current status, but regardless of that, there is so much to be thankful for as Americans, and its those things we celebrate and give thanks for today. Quite a few things happened today that caused me to give thanks, and I just wanted to jot them down for memories sake.

First off, for Mike's service; first in the Navy, and now as a local police officer. He's spent 3 out of our 5 Independence Day's serving. My attitude was everything less than thankful when we were surprised to find out Mike was getting called in to work tonight and wouldn't be able to go with us to see fireworks (Brayden's first time since we didnt take him last year). But thinking about it, I am thankful first off for his service, and the fact that he is one of those people that truely makes our nation great in my eyes. He loves to serve others, he loves to protect his family, and he is just such an awesome man! And secondly, for him encouraging me to take Brayden anyways. I really kind of wanted to just stay home and sulk after he got called in, but he acted as if of course I would go, so I did, and I am so glad I did because Brayden and I really enjoyed ourselves. I am so grateful for him :).

And then, here's a few things that happened tonight that made me SO grateful to be an American.

First off, in my ignorance, I just assumed I would be allowed into the Country Club up here to watch the fireworks, not thinking that its a MEMBERS ONLY club, and just thinking everyone could get in today. I pulled up to the gate to a friend of ours from church working, she told me it was still members only today, but she let me in under her family's name so Brayden and I could watch the fireworks. It just really blessed me. She could have easily told me to park down the street and watch them from there, but she didn't and I really appreciated it, it made for the beginning of a wonderful night!

Second, for the BEAUTIFUL country that America is and the beautiful place in which I live. Brayden and I got to witness his first fireworks show right off the peninsula on beautiful Lake Almanor. Watching fireworks over the lake is just spectacular, the weather was warm, you could hear the pine trees in the tiny gusts of wind, and you could see the reflection of every firework on the lake. Completely serene!

Third, for the people who attended our fireworks show, for many reasons. Firstly, for loving Brayden's outgoing personality and extremely loud excitement, they could have gotten annoyed with him over time, but continually complimented me on how adorable he was and made us feel like no problem at all. For people striking up conversations with us making me feel less alone. For the really nice man who bought Brayden a glow bracelet because the kids selling them didnt have change for my $5 bill. It was so nice of him and made Brayden so happy. The lady who Brayden ran in front of and stood right next to in order to get a better view, she asked me to please let him stay because he reminded her of her own grandbabies, "oohed" and "ahhed" with him over the fireworks, and then gave him her festive 4th of July headband (with the little spring things on top that are all patriotic) to keep. And lastly, the wonderful woman, she told me her name was Angela, who helped me tote my lawn chair, and Dottie in her travel kennel, while I carried Brayden and my purse back to our car. Her cabin was only a few feet away from where we watched fireworks, but she walked the 1/8th of a mile with me to my car just to help me cary all of my stuff. Random acts of kindness never cease to amaze me and bless my socks off .

These are just a few wonderful examples of why I am SO grateful to be an American and so thankful for this blessed 4th of July!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So sorry Mike had to miss out on all the fun, but I am glad you and Bray had such a great evening :) We really all need to get together one 4th of July for tons of family fun :)

Veronica said...

I love this... got misty eyed! =)