Saturday, July 3, 2010

Last Post and Freeze Meals

My last post was my 600th post. Pretty crazy if you ask me. I know I haven't been as efficient lately in my blogging, and especially in my picture taking (hence three picture posts in the last day or so, I've been feeling the guilt!) but I do love to blog. I have a million and one thoughts going through my mind on a daily basis and I wish I had more time to just get them out on here! Though I am sure there are some of you who are thankful that I don't!! Haha, I can't blame you! I just thought it was cool that I've done 600 posts, here's to the next 600 ;)!

And lastly, I tried a project tonight for the first time, freezer meals. With our new and ever-changing schedules, I dont get to see Mike at least 4 nights a week, I am still working all day on 2 of the 3 days he has off, which only leaves 1 full day together, relaxing. Add that schedule to my lack of cooking skills and you get one pretty starved husband ;) or at least one who gets teased at work about hamburger helper!! Along with my couponing, freebieing, and sweepstakes adventures, I am hoping to add freezer meals. My first attempt was Southwestern Rolls, a nice way of saying chicken/cheese/refried beans/and salsa burritos. Cook the chicken, blend the ingredients, roll up, put in pan, cover and freeze. What I like about these is that Mike can grab one or two out and pop them in the oven before he leaves for work, and then re-heat them in the microwave, take a little container of rice or corn, and he has a pretty decent dinner. However, we'll have to see if we enjoy this recipe or not. So, while I did want to blog my adventure with "freezing" I also wanted to see if any of you out there do freezer meals and if you have any recipes you would like to share! I'm hoping to find meals that we can "mass produce" like the southwest rolls, I made 8 which will be at least 4 dinners, and also meals that you can cook only part at a time (like taking a couple of the rolls out versus having to cook the entire pan at once!) Please leave a comment if you have any recipes to share!!

And, since I am asking you all to share, here is the site where I got my first freezer meal recipe from! www.moneysavingmom.com

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Laura,
One thing I do is make extras of recipes and freeze them. Like if I make crockpot refried beans, I freeze half and then thaw in a week or 2 for another meal. I make mini meat loaves and freeze the rest. It was wonderful to have those meals available for days/weeks that I knew would be hectic. When I make waffles and pancakes, I make extra and freeze them individually in plastic wrap. Brian puts the waffles in the toaster or just microwaves the pancakes for Ben's breakfast.

Mommy of KraftyGang kids said...

I do freezer beans, pancakes, bean and cheese buritoes with the beans I mmake, and breakfast buritoes. Those are all easy lunch and breakfast things when In a hurry. Spagettie pie, meatloaf and almost any meal caserole type, do two and freeze one, or individual ones for mike to bring. Let me think if I have more ideas......