Friday, July 9, 2010

Judgment and Humility

....I'll give a disclaimer, for those of you who check this blog just to catch up on our family happenings, this is a post you don't "have" to read. I don't really blog the deep stuff that's on my heart on here but felt compelled to do so today. Here's a little insight into my heart and my brain today...

The dictionary defines judgment as the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind. Everyone judges. Whether we vocalize those judgments or not, I think if we all took the time to directly think about our thoughts about others and towards others on a daily basis, we'd be shocked by the amount of judging others that we do. Maybe its just me that feels that way! I dont know where that judgment comes from; when I search within my own heart, the reasons I find myself judging are because I don't understand why or what that person is doing, because I don't approve of what that person is doing, and also because I am jealous of coveting what that person is doing or has. Pretty ugly confessions, right? And then, there is judging those who judge, I mean, we've all taken part in that as well right? It's just an ugly and vicious cycle and I am positive that it stems from our own insecurities, and our own pride. My heart hurts because of judgment. I can think of a few times even this week where I have felt openly judged and it has hurt me deeply. I can also think of even more times this week where I have judged others inwardly. What would happen if I were to go up to every single person I had judged in my heart, and vocally apologized to them for the wrong that I had committed against them in forming an opinion that wasn't mine to form? I think a lot of people would be hurt to know I had thought those ways or felt those ways, I think a lot of people would be shocked and I know that I would be humbled and saddened all over again by my confessions to them. Judgment is one of those sins that I feel gets looked over and abused all too often in the Christian religion. There are many Christians who believe it's because we are Christians and we know right from wrong that we have the right to judge, this is horribly and shamefully wrong. There are other Christians who think that judging others and acknowledging people's sins are the same thing. It is one thing to know that someone is sinning against God, it is also one thing to let someone know in love that they are sinning, it is completely different to think that it is our job to judge those people based on their sin. Human judgment turns people away from God. There is only One who is allowed to judge, only One with the authority to judge, only One who is perfect, pure, blameless, and holy to judge.

Matthew 7:1-5 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.


I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Matthew 12:36-37



3 comments:

Casey Martinez said...

This is a very good post Laura Bora! Thanks for sharing your heart on the subject of judging..I have a question for you along the lines of this...if you have any time this week watch the interview of Jennifer Knapp on Larry King. It's a 4 part interview that lasts about 45 minutes. Do you remember her? She was an awesome Christian singer several years back. Anyhoo, let me know after you watch that whose perspective you must support and why. Joey and I talked about it a lot last night and I'm wondering in light of your post what you personally think is the right way to handle the situation being discussed...whose point of view do you most agree with in other words...write me if you ever get a chance to watch it:)

ElissaM said...

Laura, I think you speak for many! I know I recently posted a blog about comparing an having sinful thoughts about all that. I think that is something that women must struggle with around this age in life. We have gotten off the high of being newlyweds, having children, or career...and life settles down...so then we start looking around to see how we can be unique compared to others and in the end we judge and compare (i think they can be one in the same). Not sure if this is what will encourage you, but just try and remember that we only need to compare ourselves against the Lord, that he has made the standards, not man, that matter in the end. God has made you so unique Laura. I think as far as judging though being aware of your thoughts and praying for the people when you may have judging thoughts. Anyways, love ya Laura...

Casey, gonna check that out too!

JuNo's Mama said...

Loved hearing your heart Laura! Being judgemental against someone can be so hurtful. I do know that it is our responsiblilty as christians to judge one another and be so called "fruit inspectors", but there is a way to do that after much prayer and love for that other person. I heard from a really great teacher once that feeling judgement from another christian a lot of times is actually conviction. We as humans become defensive when someone else points out our shortcomings, but again it is all about the heart of the people involved. How the situation was approached and the heart of the person being approached. This teacher said, "Dead flesh doesnt hurt" meaning that if someone says something and you right away feel offended and defensive, maybe its an area that God is trying to work on. But at the same time there are people out their that just say things to be down right mean spirited and judgemental, and for those people i pray God would change their hearts:) Love Ya Girl!!