Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Life with a boy

I often say, I think I was meant to be a "boy-mom." Not that I don't love cute little girls, frilly dresses, and adorable headbands, because I do. I love them. But I just love being the mom to a little boy. I love trains, and bikes, and frogs, and wrestling, and just everything boy...ok...well...maybe not everything. I don't do bugs. Brayden will of course one day take advantage of this knowledge and come into our house dangling creepy crawly things in front of my face, but for the moment, I can enjoy the fact that he hasn't yet realized everything buggy. But aside from bugs, there is only one other thing I can think of about boys that is just so darn hard, and that is their somewhat supernatural, almost like gravity, pull towards danger and injury. My Mom, during my phone call of telling her about tonight's events, quickly reminded me that this was the little boy that just a year ago I was worried about when he was going to be walking. Oh to have such simple worries....

Brayden ran off the couch tonight. Yes, go ahead and re-read that. Brayden RAN off the couch tonight while I was sitting just a couple cushions away from him. Let me now tell you he is completely un-injured and in 100% exact same condition as he was before he attempted his dare-devil adventure (well, not now, read dare-devil adventure #2, but he is still totally ok). I wasn't quite sure that I saw the first run and jump action right since he had never even tried anything close to it before, but gave him a stern warning that we only sit on the couch. One moment later, he did the same thing. Both times, falling to the plush carpet (and on top of large dogs who are always there to break his fall) in complete giggles. He got in trouble again and had to sit on the floor. *Sigh* I digress...I know....you parents of older boys are just shaking your head at me, thinking "You think this is a big deal?" Wait till later." Onto stunt #2....

Brayden likes to be in control of his interaction with water, hence his love for his water table from Grammy Hoefler. He has increased his love for water since his trip to the pool for his birthday, he is much more willing to splash and play, and likes to try to blow bubbles (scares me to death). Well, Brayden wanted to stand in the tub today. Brayden knows he is not allowed to stand in the tub. He fully understands this and does know better. Brayden did take advantage of the fact that I was trying very hard not to get one of my hands wet that I have a cut on that has been bothering me, and was trying to stand regardless of me telling him not too. Long story short (yeah right Laura), I was holding Brayden's hand telling him to sit down when he fell face forward into the waterspout of the bathtub. No blood gushing or anything, don't worry. Just a small dent at first that turned into a small bump that isn't even noticable in a picture. If you could have heard the sound. It wasn't even loud, it was just, my little boy's forehead hitting the spout *shudder*. He cried for all of 2 seconds, and then went back to splashing me. I quickly got him out and dried him off to inspect the "wound." He's fine. I on the otherhand am one incident shy of wrapping the boy in bubble paper with a helmet, wrist guards and shin guards and locking him in a padded room. I mean, with both knees all scabbed up, old bruises covered with fresh brusies on his all-boy legs, I mean geeze! I think little boys do it because they get enjoyment out of seeing their Mommies who love them to pieces get all frazzled over their actions...but how in the heck does a 2 year old understand that already? Given, I know he didn't intentionally ram his head into the water spout, but the couch? C'mon Brayden, give me a break!

Oh to be the Mom of a little boy...

0 comments: