Sunday, August 8, 2010

And the Deputy....

I know I dont say much about Mike on the blog anymore, as I work to get the other blog set up and privatized you will be able to hear a little bit more about his job and whats new with him.

In the meantime, Mike had a great weekend, his favorite fighter, Matt Hughes, fought in a UFC this weekend and won in the first round, and holy toledo, you should have been there to see Mike jump and yell, and pick me up over his head when it happened. In fact, he scared Brayden pretty good by being so excited. Silly guy.

He has roughly 8 weeks left in his training program, where he is working as a deputy but with different other deputies in each city in our county. He LOVES his job and is really soaking up this time while he is working with another Deputy each night learning as much as he can from each of them to help him when he is on his own.

And, based on a few questions for me about how I feel about his career, if I get worried, what's worse, this or the Navy, etc. Here's some answers. I love that Mike is a man that wants to be out doing something to make a difference. I applaud any and every man that works or has worked to make a living for their family. I love that Mike is so hard working and is so passionate about helping others. I knew this when I married him, one of the many many things that attracted me to him, and I wouldn't change it for a minute. When Mike was deciding to stay in the Navy, to get out, what kind of job he wanted to do and more, we both agreed that whatever Mike did, he needed to LOVE doing it. Because of course you work to live and not live to work, but knowing that he would have to work as a career, he might as well do something he loved doing, especially since he had the world at his fingertips. He made the decision to become a cop and hasn't looked back, and neither have I. It's the most fulfilled I have seen Mike feel since we have been married, doing the job he signed up to do and wanted to do (unlike with the Navy where he didn't get the job he wanted and didn't feel he was being utilized to the best of his ability). It's such a joy to watch him be so passionate about what he does and I am so blessed that he cares and works as hard as he does. I do get worried, what wife wouldn't? In fact, I struggle with trying to make his job seem less dangerous in my mind, while he is away at work, so I don't spend every moment worrying about him. It's a tough balance. But the comfort I have is knowing that God CALLED Mike to this job, shut all other doors and opened every single door for him to do this line of work, and who am I to argue with that or worry about Mike when God is in complete control? Of course I know the danger that is Mike's job, and I do worry, but I entrust Mike to God and know that God is fulfilling Jeremiah 29:11 in Mike's life every day :). And lastly, Cop versus Navy. Well, it's like comparing apples to oranges in some ways. Navy came with deployments which can be compared to nothing in the entire world. But, I also feel like for what Mike's job was in the Navy, versus what Mike's job is now, that as far as worrying goes, Mike's job right now is much much more dangerous on a daily basis. While Mike was home in the U.S. in the Navy, it was like any other day job, and when he was gone, he was pretty safe on the aircraft carrier. There were some exceptions, and of course I worried about terrorism, but dealing with criminals every day/night face to face is to me, much more worrisome. I'm so grateful for both jobs, what the Navy has taught us and what the Policing world now is teaching us. God's using it all for His glory! If you have any more questions about his work I will answer them if I can!

0 comments: