Saturday, February 20, 2010

19 months, Winter Camp, and Illness

Yesterday, Brayden turned 19 months old, on the 19th, nonetheless ;)! We just got home the day before yesterdat from Winter Camp and I watched Brayden "grow up" before my eyes. He loved being around the high schoolers, loved getting to sit at their table for meals, thought it was so cool when they were watching him and I was nowhere around, as well as learning to high five and pound it. (Brayden has known how to high five for months, but the kids taught him how to hit fists afterwards, its adorable!) I prayed a lot for Brayden to behave and really allow Mike and I to minister and spend time with the kids and our prayers were answered above and beyond my expectations. He took really long naps, slept through the night, and behaved for everyone that was watching him. I also, on a side note, really could not have done this Winter Camp without the help from our Youth Pastor's wife. They have a 4 month old daughter, and she stayed with them at night when we had various activities planned, and even watched Brayden with two injured high schoolers so I could go snowboarding with all the kids at Sugar Bowl without any distractions! What an AMAZING blessing! I also watched my child, walk, toddle, run, all over that camp, and anywhere we went for that matter. He didn't want to be carried and just wanted to roam and be a big boy! All four of his 18 month olf molars have cut through and are on their descent and Brayden also completely successfully slept through the entire night last night with no pacifier! Woo Woo!
As for camp; completely indescribable. We prayed for God to reign and show Himself to us, and I dont know of one adult or student who didnt walk away learning something deep and meaningful that will stick with them forever. The theme of camp was suffering, and it was very appropriate that our van broke down twice, eventually dying 5 miles into the drive home (and estimating to be fixed for $2,300!), having to shuttle kids in our cars to and from skiing/snowboarding, Mike getting horrifically sick from the first night we stayed, through yesterday with some sort of food poisoning, the Youth Pastor and his 4 month old daughter catching a cold, two pretty bad arm injuries (maybe a break?), Mike getting lost in the woods by himself for an hour, etc. Amidst the trials, it was truely AMAZING, there was bonding, transparency, deep and thought provoking Bible studies, amazing devotionals, some pretty intense games of Capture the Flag, a bonfire, dance-offs, etc. I am truely amazed and so blessed to be apart of such an awesome group of kids!
Mike thankfully has not thrown up in almost 24 hours now, and I am praying the worst is well over.
I am going to upload all my camp pictures to the computer soon and post a few here, since the kids were able to steal my camera and get a few hilarious pictures of Brayden.
Lastly, I will leave you with a video that will rock your world, bring you to tears, and make you want to hug your children and never let go. Paul showed this at camp to the kids, and I can't describe everything it made me feel. Maybe for another post later on. Anyways, here it is:

2 comments:

Casey Martinez said...

Wow, that video had my chest in knots the entire time and the end broke my heart but, I am amazed at the strength in which the video is made and the way it glorifies God so beautifully in the midst of the most horrible loss. God Bless that family and praise Jesus someday they will see their little boy Eliot again. Thanks for sharing as it is a good reminder to never take our time with loved ones for granted.! Glad you enjoyed camp. Sounds like God is using you guys in awesome ways:). So cool!

ElissaM said...

I am so glad Laura how well this past week has gone for you guys. I love, LOVE to see God work and see His Glory through all things as little as Brayden doing well, to blessing the high schoolers! God is good! That video sure touched me too! If mike weren't sitting there next to me I would have been blubbering like a baby...but i gotta be tough sometimes:-) Can't wait to catch up!